- In order to celebrate and popularise the 100th birthday of Witold Lutosławski, the Witold Lutosławski Society and the Polish Composers’Unionannounce a composition competition.
- The competition is international in character and has no territorial restrictions or age limit for competitors.
- The task of the competition is the competition of a piece for a symphonic orchestra similar to those employed by Lutosławski in his last symphonies (for example: 3(2picc)3(1ci)3(2picc, 1clb)3(1 cfg), 4441, timp, batt, cel, 2 ar, 2 pf, archi). It must be original, has may not have been awarded prizes in other competitions nor performed publicly.
- Submissions must be at least 10 minutes and may not exceed 25 minutes.
- Only compositions sent to the Society before and on 25 January 2013 (the 100th birthday of the competition’s patron of the competition) will be eligible for the competition. The date of submission is based on the post stamp.
- In order to participate in the competition individuals must pay a participation fee of 50 Euro into the Society’s bank account (bank account number: 11 1240 1037 1978 0010 0182 9201. IBAN: PL; BIC/SWIFT: PKOPPLPW) and send the composition in:
a) electronic form saved on CD, DVD or USB stick and
b) hard copy.
- The members of the jury are: Luca Francesconi, Kazimierz Kord, Magnus Lindberg, Steven Stucky, Paweł Szymański and Tadeusz Wielecki. The jury is nominated by the Witold Lutosławski Society and the Polish Composers’Union.
- Three prizes will be awarded, including a first prize of 10 000 Euro (ten thousand Euro). Upon the jury’s prerogative specific amounts shall be awarded.
- The competition will conclude in March and its results will be made public.
- The jury’s decisions are final.
- The winning composition will be performed during the International Festival of Contemporary Music, ‘Warsaw Autumn’. The prizes will also be awarded at the Festival.
- The organisers will be responsible for promoting the winning compositions and will attempt to arrange further performances.
- Works with an pseudonym, proof of the participation fee payment, an envelope with the same pseudonym containing the author’s name, street and email addresses and telephone number should be sent to the Witold Lutosławski Society, ul. Bracka 23, 00-028 Warszawa. Further questions should be addressed to Society’s office by telephone/fax (+48 22 826 90 25) or email (email@example.com). Each parcel should contain the return address.
Regulation: LutoslawskiCompetition ENG